Charlene Avery enjoys exploring and meeting people in the writing and children’s lit worlds. She volunteers at a local elementary school library. She’s an active member of SCBWI – Wisconsin, SW region, & Diversity committee. She participates in 12 x 12 picture book challenge, and We Need Diverse Books, and is a Friend of the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC).
Charlene enjoys writing chapter books, middle grade novels, picture books, and everything in between. Some of her non-fiction stories switch to fiction, and vice versa after critiques and contemplation. In 2019 she’ll be exploring freelance writing and work for hire.
Charlene and three friends painted the art (4 canvases) in the background of her headshot photo. She lives near Cross Plains, WI and loves spending time outdoors, reading, traveling, creating, and exploring. She also enjoys being an Occupational Therapist at a community hospital where she works with people who have cognitive, physical, neurological, and other challenges and concerns.
RECENT & UPCOMING EVENTS
- New York Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators Winter Conference 2019
- The Children’s Book Academy Multiple Courses
- Marvelous Midwest SCBWI Conference May 2019
- 12 x 12 Picture Book Challenge Member
- CCBC Shorts
- SCBWI – WI Fall Retreat November
- Writing On The Door – Children’s Literature Conference (3 Days)
- SCBWI WI Spring Luncheon
- UW -Madison Writers’ Institute (4 Days)
- Laurie Scheer Mentorship – UW Madison Writers’ Institute Pathway to Publication
- Write By The Lake – UW Madison (5 Days)
- SCBWI WI Fall Retreat at Green Lake, WI (3 Days)
- CCBC Charlotte Zolotow Award & Symposium (1 evening, 1 Day)
- Diversity Institute (1 Day) by the Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network, Wisconsin
- Weekend With Your Novel – UW Madison (3 Day)