Charlene Avery enjoys exploring and meeting people in the writing and children’s lit worlds. She volunteers at a local elementary school library. She’s an active member of SCBWI – Wisconsin & Diversity committee chair. She participates in 12 x 12 picture book challenge, We Need Diverse Books, and is a Friend of the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC). Mystery to Me Bookstore in Madison, WI plays a large role in her skill building and networking as well. Their children’s lit section is amazing and the most interesting set-up she’s seen to date!
Charlene enjoys writing chapter books, middle grade novels, picture books, and everything in between. Some of her non-fiction stories switch to fiction, and vice versa after critiques and contemplation. She’s even learning to write a sci-fi graphic novel via one of her young characters! In 2019 she is exploring freelance writing and work for hire.
Charlene and three friends painted the art (4 canvases) in the background of her headshot photo. She lives near Cross Plains, WI and loves spending time outdoors, reading, traveling, creating, and exploring. She also enjoys being an Occupational Therapist at a community hospital where she works with people who have cognitive, physical, neurological, and other challenges and concerns.
Things she loses track of time while doing: revising a manuscript, researching a project, yard and garden work on a cool day, wandering a huge dog park on a cool day (sensing a common thread?), cross country skiing or being outdoors on cool days (above 15 degrees). Puddle jumping, time with her husband, reading an amazing book, time with friends. A cozy day with time for a nap.
RECENT & UPCOMING EVENTS
- 2019 EVENTS
- New York Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators Winter Conference 2019
- The Children’s Book Academy Multiple Courses & critiques
- Marvelous Midwest SCBWI Conference & critique May 2019
- 12 x 12 Picture Book Challenge Member
- CCBC Shorts, and research
- SCBWI numerous webinars & critiques
- Mary Kole Webinars
- Storyteller Academy Courses
- Writer’s Digest
- PB Summit
- Professional Critiques via WNDB Summer Fundraiser
- Enlisted Mary Kole editing & consulting service
- Writing On The Door – Children’s Literature Conference (3 Days)
- SCBWI WI Spring Luncheon
- UW -Madison Writers’ Institute (4 Days)
- Laurie Scheer Mentorship – UW Madison Writers’ Institute Pathway to Publication
- Write By The Lake – UW Madison (5 Days)
- SCBWI WI Fall Retreat at Green Lake, WI (3 Days)
- CCBC Charlotte Zolotow Award & Symposium (1 evening, 1 Day)
- Diversity Institute (1 Day) by the Disproportionality Technical Assistance Network, Wisconsin
- CCBC Book Discussions, and research
- Weekend With Your Novel – UW Madison (3 Day)
- with a fantastic afternoon spent with a critique group